Sr. RF Engineer
Job Location: 22705 Savi Ranch Parkway,
92887, CA, United States
Posted: May 18, 2020
A Senior RF Engineer is a professional with an advanced degree and significant experience with RF and electronics system design. In this role, the individual will work directly with IXI engineering staff to design, develop, and validate various special purpose communication systems supporting. This individual will perform detailed electronic circuit design/analysis, work closely with project leads to coordinate prototyping activities, and be responsible for the assigned CCA and system design from concept through pre-production phase. This individual may be responsible for leading small projects or be part of a larger team development.
- Design and validate RF electronic circuits and systems (including: RF amplifier, communications modulation/demodulation, small signal analog front end, signal conditioning, and antennas).
- Be responsible as a project lead, team lead or team member for the creation of complex RF based systems from the idea phase, to a prototype and finally to production.
- Perform detailed system and Circuit Card Assembly sub-system design, analysis, verification, simulation, and related work as required.
- Work with complicated electronic system concepts and detailed circuit design to properly determine the necessary design tradeoffs.
- Participate in Circuit Card Assembly design, system test planning, and system test procedure generation for first articles.
- Provide support to the design, development, prototype fabrication, and design verification testing of electronic circuits.
- Participate in all phases of design activities.
- Understand how to implement low-cost and robust system and Circuit Card Assembly designs to meet all technical requirements.
- Support technical proposal generation.
- Generate all necessary design documentation in a timely fashion.
- Oversee all activities for all sustaining and technical support projects.
- Work closely and share innovative ideas with engineering, sales, and manufacturing.
- B.S. in Engineering or Physics (or equivalent) with a minimum 10 years experience in hands-on design of electronic modules and systems. M.S. Desired.
- Demonstrated experience in the development of complex RF based systems.
- Experience with RF Simulation and Modelling Tools.
- In-depth experience in RF, digital and analog Circuit Card Assembly layout and construction techniques.
- Experience with design and implementation of RF transceiver subsystems.
- Experience working in RF bands from 400 MHz through 6 GHz.
- Demonstrated proficiency with Ansys HFS, Microwave Office, ADS or equivalent.
- Experience with analog and RF test equipment (Spectrum analyzers, vector network analyzers, signal generators, power meters).
- Expertise with real time spectral analysis.
- Ability to select and validate passive components (Couplers, splitters, baluns, filters, …)
- Experience with RF PCB design techniques including material selection, multi-layer RF transition design and validation and board-to-board RF transitions.
- Proficient with RF budget analysis generation, component selection, inter-stage interaction minimization, Monte Carlo analysis, sensitivity analysis.
- Familiarity with antennas including the various elements, trade-offs, size limitations, design methods, optimization, verification, and measurement techniques.
- Experience with power amplifies with saturated output power greater than 1W including familiarity with various foundry processes and characteristics, source and load match impacts, power measurement techniques, and matching circuit design, simulation, verification, validation.
- Proficient with power amplifier non-linear simulation and modeling techniques including design of DC feed networks and impacts on video bandwidth and linearity.
- Experience with small signal RF filter selection, LNA design, mixer analysis, synthesizer PLL design, VCO selection, LO phase noise requirement determination, IF selection and tradeoffs, IF gain stages, and analog interfacing with high speed ADCs and DACs.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Experience with MATLAB.
- Experience with thermal design.
- Experience with choosing, designing in, and programming FPGA / CPLD’s.
- Experience with digital busses (PCIe, PCI…) and architecture concepts.
- Experience with power supply and analog circuit design and development.
- Experience with GNSS systems and signals.
- Experience with Software Defined Radios.
- Knowledge of UAV control communications techniques and modulation schemes.
- Experience with RF localization and direction finding.
- Experience with design and implementation of microprocessor or DSP embedded computing systems.
- Experience with interfacing A/Ds and D/As to embedded computing systems.
- Experience in utilizing RF for Electronic Warfare Applications.
- Design and validate mixed-signal electronic circuits and systems (including: high-speed digital communications, microprocessor embedded systems, signal conditioning, power supplies, A/D, D/A circuitry).
- Military background is a plus.
The individual must have the ability to read, write, and understand spoken English; the ability to read and understand product requirements and performance specifications; and the ability to read and understand schematics, assembly drawings, parts lists, test procedures, engineering drawings, technical procedures, and governmental regulations. The individual must have strong communication skills and the ability to interface directly with customers.
The individual may be required to obtain a U.S. Government Security Clearance.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally required to stand, walk, and sit. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include color vision and the ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals to perform the essential functions. The noise level in the work environment is generally quiet, but may be moderate when various test fixtures are operating.